Dev Harlan’s work operates at a point of increasing fluidity between physical and digital practices. Installations and sculptures are often constructed from geometric primitives, tessellated surfaces or appropriated objects. Surfaces and spaces are activated with the use of digital projections, relying on a structured relationship between light and surface over time. All are in superposition and reinforcement of each other, proposing a temporal and phenomenological mode of viewing.
Dev Harlan (b 1978, Phoenix, Arizona, U.S.) lives and works in New York. Solo exhibitions have been presented at Vasquez Gallery, Brooklyn (2015), Christopher Henry Gallery, New York (2011-2013) and Rouge 58 Gallery, Brooklyn (2011). He has participated in public art exhibition “Ideas City / Nuit Blanche”, New Museum, NY (2010) and Singapore Light Festival, Singapore (2012). His work has been included in group shows at Whitebox Gallery and Christopher Henry Gallery. Recently he was included in museum show “Noor (Light)” at the Sharjah Art Museum, UAE (2015).
Dev has been a teacher and guest critic for INDA (International Design & Architecture program) at Chulalongkorn University, Bankgkok, and has given lectures for the NYU ITP (Information Technology Program), NY. He is a self taught artist and was home educated for most of his childhood in California.
68 Jay St. #504
Brooklyn, NY. 11201
+1 917 806 4270
- 2016-09-15 “Eighteen”, Group Show at Usagi Gallery, Brooklyn
- 2015-12-15 “Mineral Consciousness and Unremarkable Stars”, Part of “Noor (Light)“, Sharjah Art Museum, Sharjah, UAE
- 2015-02-27 “After Sunset on the Information Super Getaway”, Solo exhibition, Vazquez Project Gallery, Brooklyn, NY
- 2013-10-07 “Time Is a Vector”, Solo exhibition, Christopher Henry Gallery, NY
- 2012-09-20 “Eon Surf”, Two person show, Christopher Henry Gallery, NY
- 2012-03 “Sustainable Light Festival, Marina Bay”, Public exhibition, Singapore
- 2011-05-13 “The Astral Flight Hangar”, Solo exhibition, Christopher Henry Gallery, NY
- 2011-05-13 “Suffolk Deluxe Electric Bicycle”, (Collaboration w/ OLEK) LMCC Spring Open Studios
- 2011-05-07 “Star Geode I”, Public exhibition, “Festival of New Ideas for the New City / FlashLight”
- 2011-03-05 “Infinity Landing”, Solo Exhibition, Rouge 58 Gallery, Brooklyn NY.
- 2010-12 “Pyramid IV”, Christopher Henry Gallery @ Scope Art Fair, Art Basel Miami FL
- 2010-10 “Pyramid III”, Vimeo World Popup Gallery, Vimeo Film Fest, NY
- 2010-07 “Any Colour You Like” Installation, “T-MINUS20” Group Show, Christopher Henry Gallery, NY
- 2010-05 “Pyramid II” Installation, Ouroboros Showcase, WhiteBox Gallery, NY
- 2009-07 “Faune+Faust” Installation (Pyramid I), Bushwick Market Fair, Brooklyn NY
Selected Film Screenings
- 2009-03 “In Order To Dance” Screening, Scope Cinema Program, Scope Art Fair, NY
- 2009-06 “In My Room” 4 Channel Screening, “Cube Considered” @ Monkey Town, Brooklyn NY
- 2008-05 “Lovebirds” Screening, Stuttgart Festival of Animated Film, (Bitfilm Awards Nominee), Stuttgart Germany
- 2007-08 “Lovebirds” Screening, File l Festival Hipersonica 2007 - Sao Paulo, Brazil
- 2006-12 “Microvert 5306A” Screening, PAM Screenings, Scope Fair – Art Basel Miami, FL
- 2006-11 “Microvert 5306A” Screening, IFC Media Lab, NY and East Coast Touring Festival
- 2006-06 “Microvert 5306A”, Screening, Sonar Festival, Barcelona, Spain
- 2005-07 “Musee Hofstadt”, Screening, New York Video Festival, Lincoln Center, NY NY